Monday, October 1, 2007

Drywall, Sweet Drywall

Can you believe it?! We're actually to the point of hanging sheet rock. It has been such a long crazy road to this point I can barely fathom it. When we started literally 10 months ago I never thought it would take this much work/time. I always knew I would have your support, but I never thought I would lean so heavily upon it. For that I can never thank you enough.

Saturday started the usual predawn hours of trying to rustle up materials and running around to get the house ready for the crew of the day. Getting a drywall jack was critical and getting breakfast was next on the list. Although the Contractor's Supply had the sheet rock jack, McD's couldn't seem to find the bacon & egg biscuit I ordered and gave me a Sausage and egg Bagel with half an onion on it. For those that know me, that was NOT what I was looking for, so I just drank the OJ. Thankfully Russ had done two things that morning I hadn't expected that really made my day. First he gave up his day of tailgating at the Iowa Homecoming football game AND he brought Pella-fresh pastries. Both were HUGE in my morning. We spent the next hour or so cleaning and straightening the house for the crews that were on the way.

Folks started to trickle in early around 9/9:30 which again was awesome! One by one they were all sent to the third floor to finish the remaining prep work from insulation and then installing drywall. Roughly around 11:00 the first sheet of drywall (since the 2nd floor laundry installation) went up! It was a glorious moment I tell ya, I don't think I've come down from that high. Someone said later in the day (whom I don't remember since I was in a drywall dust/insulation induced haze) "hey, it's amazing how much less echo there is here with walls up." Well said, I'm looking forward to the day when I don't hear the echoing hammers or drills or chop saw. I know that day is still a little ways off, but Saturday was a great step toward that end.

Deb R and Russ insulate and hang plastic on the 2nd floor

Sean & I Hang the window drywall/I Make a good cut ;-)

Matt B drills home a screw/Greg E. Replaces the Rotozip blade

Shana D & Mary hang insulation/Ellie's room is ready for rock

I turn on System 2 water to test again/I watch the pipes and pray

(Not pictured are Mark S and Charlie who hung drywall on the thrid floor and were TOTALLY jamming until they had to leave - thank you both!)

No comments: