Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Tree For Leslie

An Unexpected Family - The Covington Small Group

Tuesday evening was another fantastic moment in the timeline of this project. The electrician, Jeff S., came up from Pella and helped me test all of the switches and lights for the entire house and the small group came over and we installed their gift of a tree in honor of Leslie.

Jeff S. took off early and I met him early in the afternoon so that we'd have more daylight to use and we ended up needing it! I had called him earlier in the week saying that some of the lights didn't work and some of the switches were goofy. Wouldn't you know it, when the professional shows up it all goes perfectly?! We worked our way through all three top floors installing pigtails for surface lights, switches where needed and bulbs in the can lights. We only ran into one that was goofed up - so we had really no problems. It was amazing to FINALLY have lights in the house that I didn't have to plug in via a web extension cords and then constantly move around as I work. I really can't emphasize how important this is too me as the days continually become shorter. To this point we've had five working outlets and roughly seven shop lights to get through nights and cloudy days. Lights throughout the house allows me to work later AND safer, the latter being something I'm sure my mom is happy about. ;-)

Jeff S. pulls wires into the main breaker box


I had to quit early and help install a tree that my small group from church donated in memory of Leslie - and by help I mean watch the tree spade put it into the ground. It was amazing to watch that machine work - I'm fascinated by huge machines, always have. Anyway, the group had been planning to plant a tree since about three weeks after Leslie's accident. While I was still trying to decide in November/December they had mentioned it but wanted to wait until I had made a decision on where I was to live. before they moved forward purchasing anything

When I decided to take on this house project, they met with Justin H. who was in charge of the landscaping redesign and picked out a type of tree and we talked through where it should be placed on the yard. I decided that it would make a great 'bookend' for the house that would 'frame' it well since I had removed so many large trees in the Spring that once served that purpose. We installed it Tuesday night near the garage since I plan to also plant fruit trees along the North side of the house, next the to-be-redone driveway.

It's a perfect tree and a perfect gift. It's a Linden that is about 4" in diameter at the trunk and stands about 15'-20'. Its leaves have started to turn already and has a great shape to its canopy. It reminds me very much of Leslie and I couldn't help when watching it being installed to think of how its beauty reminded me of Leslie's. It's tall, straight and regal. It seems as though it's stretching to the heavens and against the soft blue of the fall evening sky it stood out and seemed to stand in it's own space commanding every ones attention. It's a 'classic' shade tree that Leslie would absolutely love and realate to.

The VERY large tree spade backs in/The small group watches

Ellie points to the 'big' tree/Not too sure that the spade is safe

Ellie 'helps' plant the tree/Then all the little ones play below


Leslie's caring nature and love of the world that God created was reflected Tuesday by the love of the small group and others there helping to make it happen. It was a special moment to the small group as well as one family is leaving for Germany. They have been so important in my grieving in allowing me to talk when I needed and also grieving with me when they needed. Their place in the small group will be missed greatly and I pray for their quick, safe return after their threes years of commitment in Germany are completed. Take care Sandra, Kevin, Eli and baby Mary, the Covington Small Group has forever been changed by you and we pray that the Lord blesses you greatly in following your dreams and brings you back to us, until then you are in our prayers. I'd like to say thank you to everyone in the small group for being such a great support system that has allowed me to leaned on you when times have been tough and you've shown me how a church family can be as important and meaningful as any family could be.

Once again my house has been changed by those who loved Leslie and those that continue to uplift Ellie and me. It was a great day, one that changed the whole house.

1 comment:

Jana said...

What a wonderful gesture! I think your description of the tree as a reflection of Leslie's beauty was perfect. And what adorable pictures of Ellie!