Thursday, September 11, 2008

Picking Up Steam

September had a great start to the month! I had a surprise crew of 6 that got focused and knocked out a lot of work. The crew included Russ V, Ron V, Shana D, Lola K, and Steve N. The weather we perfect that day and the crew took full advantage of it.

Starting off were Russ and Steve carrying all of the tile for the master bathroom floor, shower pan and laundry room up two flights of stairs and placing it in the master crapper until the rooms are fully prepped for tile (and I get a stinking quote from a tile layer). Then they started hanging sheet rock in the master bathroom ceiling and actually got it almost completely hung!
Russ Messes with the plastic/Steve needs a break

Russ & Steve prep the ceiling/Then start cutting drywall

Ron jumps in to help/The finished product looks pretty good

Kind of a tough spot for 3 guys to all fit, but they managed


Ron tore into the master bathroom window and removed it completely taking great care not to puncture the shower pan liner that's been in place for almost nine months. After tearing it completely out, he put in a temporary 'window' (a piece of plywood and caulk) until I can get a block layer to put in the glass blocks for that window. Moving on, Ron started CUTTING drywall in the laundry room to locate a place that we could install the dryer vent that I so mindlessly forgot to put in before all the walls went up 6 months ago. With the floors ready to have tile installed, I thought the time had come to make that a priority and hopefully soon having a working laundry room. He got the hole made and even located a clear path for the vent to exit the room and out the roof (through the 3rd floor crawl space) but didn't quite get to installation.
Buddy admires the view out Ron's handy work

Then Ron cuts bigger holes eleswhere


Lola and Shana spent the day clearing out the fitness room (again) of all the doors other materials (i.e. paintings, counter tops, etc.) and hung plastic from the ceiling so that I could get a painter in to spray all of the doors (and some still-missing trim boards). They went through and organized the doors by floor and located how much paint I have of each kind remaining so that I could order more if needed. It was just up to me to get the painter lined up. To this time, the painter still hasn't followed through on showing up, so I'm currently looking for his replacement;-)
The girls were camera shy


As for me, I worked on the plumbing in Ellie's bathroom and actually got running water in there once again! What an exciting day I tell you. I think in only 3 more weeks I'll be able to take a shower in my own home - yehaa! I also installed another can light in the master bathroom because you can never have too much light!
Getting down into it/The handy work of someone else

My handiwork/Roger - the REAL plumber


This week also brought a bit of sadness for Ellie. Her super cool bed and clubhouse had to be taken out. Through a lot of deliberation and checking of facts, the bed was deemed inappropriate for Ellie and it needed to go. She took the news well, but I guess it hurts me that this happened and we had such a huge build up for something that ended up being a huge pain in the butt. We now have to tear her room apart again, refinish the floors again, patch all the drywall again, paint again and take her out of her bed again. It's a disruption to her sense of normal or 'safe' that just eats at me a little. Mistakes happen, I just wish they'd stop happening to her. I guess I'll stop there and say that I think it's moving along and it was promised to be repaired and I'm sure that it will. I hope sooner rather than later so that Ellie can once again go up to her room and play with her books and dolls without having exposed wires and dusty floors. It'll all get taken care of I'm sure, it'll just take patience.

This was a great week and gives me great optimism for the month and the progress ahead. It was refreshing to get a good sized crew again and actually challenged me again to have enough work for people in multiple locations. I know the end is nearing and I praise the Lord for the many blessings he's given me during all of this.

No comments: