Monday, March 24, 2008

Saturday Crew Is Early

Everyone was Movin' & Shakin' Wednesday Night

This week the crew showed up and I mean REALLY EARLY - like Wednesday night! That's right, I had a crew of six people show Wednesday evening ready to do whatever I needed. It was a great bunch from Two Rivers Marketing - the agency that both Leslie and I worked for. Making a star appearance were John K., Jill V., Jill L., Ryan J., Karen S., and Julie S. - yes there were a lot of 'J's that night.

I am making preparations for bringing up the semi full of my old house NEXT SATURDAY and I needed to create some space for all of the stuff. In walk the crew from 2RM and BAM!! we're clearing away junk and organizing other junk that needs to stay! They kind of looked at me like - '18 months of tearing and repairing and we're moving boxes and sweeping your porch'? Yep, needs to be done so that the big day of moving can happen.

Well three hours later the 3-season porch and garage were cleared and organized, all of the hardware for the 2nd floor doors were taken off and placed in baggies and a good portion of the paint was stripped off of the top of the bar (that was mistakenly painted by the painters - MAJOR OOPS). We won't go into how many four letters words I uttered, well it was really only one word multiple times.
Ryan J uses VERY toxic stripper/John and Jill work and Julie is...?

John moves a heavy door/Jill V removes a hinge


As the group was departing for their homes and warm beds that no doubt provided a little rest for their very sore backs, we discussed how a 'small' group of six could get so much done. Simply put that was 18 hours that it would have taken to do that work - not to mention the additional time just due to the fact that when working alone it always takes longer because of the efficiency of two sets of hands working on the same project. In one night a lot was accomplished that will allow for this up coming weekend to really be possible.
Jill L works on the door handle/John & Julie work together

Julie isn't so sure he's doing it correctly/The group (minus Karen)


Another first was reached this past weekend on Saturday. It was the first weekend that we didn't take off, but I worked alone on the house. Not really abig deal at all, just an interesting fact to consider. For more than 62 weeks I have had at least one other person helping me on my house and in most cases many people. In some cases it was nice to work quietly by myself, but reality sunk in and I realized how much I didn't get done with such a 'big' weekend on the horizon and it was a bit disheartening. Oh well, there is next weekend, it will come whether I'm ready or not and that's good from any perspective. I might even have a couch to sit on in a week or so. No more 5-gallon bucket seats or plastic lawn furniture. Although I might just keep some of that in the house so I don't have to clean as much until more of the painting and final touches are put on each room. we'll have to wait and see.

Regardless I hung a sheet of drywall in the landing of the 2nd floor, moved a couple of switch boxes that were sticking too far out from the drywall, cut a few holes for plumbing and got to hang with Buddy during Coke breaks. All in all it was a good day. Just me and my trusted dog who has been through the deepest valleys of life with me. Sometimes the quiet progress made along side an old trusted friend ain't so bad.

No comments: