Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Photo Shoot and the Ladies

The work of many months and many hands

This week was a ginormous week for the O'Bannon home - the first photo shoot took place on Thursday and Friday! This concludes the work on the kitchen! I find it very ironic that the kitchen was the first to be completed because it was such an albatross for me in some many ways. The great thing is that it is done (minus some details like staining some trim work and putting on a knob or two on cabinets) and I can now cook dinner for Ellie. I'll be happy to take suggestions and/or recipes for our first meal.

The crew that shot the kitchen were great and really did a fantastic job of making my kitchen look like 'something out of a magazine'. Yes that sounds funny because it's obvious, but really, I never thought anything of mine would ever be in a magazine, let a lone one that thousands of people would see. I am in the world of advertising and marketing and it still amazes me how much things are made for appearance and how with the right kinds of talent and knowledge things can be transformed so dramatically. I have said this before, but Jeni the designer made my kitchen into on that is a 'wow' kitchen. I was just focused on making it really functional and it would probably have been 'nice' but Jeni and her team of professionals are truly amazing. Thank you Jeni, thank you Meredith, thank you all of the manufacturers who donated and helped create a room in my home that I will love to use for many, many years to come. I will keep everyone in suspense regarding the final images because I want you to go out and buy the magazine. Heck buy three and give them away to your friends! As far as I know the article will be in the Summer '08 Kitchen Makeovers which should hit the shelves on or around June 17th.
Photographer gives direction/Then takes a peek

The group talks about the next shot/Jennifer E cleans a bit

Jennifer gets into the cracks/Jeni and photogragher talk over final shots

The mess that make the beauty shots possible


Saturday was a relaxed work day. Brittany and Caryn surprised me by popping in to help shortly after Shana did the same. I spent most of the day using stripper to pull off the paint on the door jams going into the basement and the two strips of moulding that go in the entryway. Shana finished the sanding of the stairway but then was off to watch her boys. Brittany tack-clothed the entire entryway including the stairs and filled holes with putty. Caryn meanwhile was also filling holes and sanding the dining room and got 98% done which was great because I really want to be done with all of the dust. Getting the varnish up in the last two rooms would be awesome because it seals that dirt and dust and there's no more creating dust (besides that which will be created when we finish the 2nd floor bathrooms). I just want to be done with the first floor and maybe move my stuff in. It would be great to live in my entire house and not just my master bedroom. Listen to me - whine, whine, whine. I am thankful to be IN my house. Living in the dust though does wear on me and it's an every-moment reminder that I have a lot of things waiting to be completed.
Caryn tells Buddy to move/Then gets after a tight spot

Britter looks for dusty spots/I watch for paint leftovers

Working side-by-side let's Brit and I talk


The coolest thing of the day though was the conversation. It was great to have family around and talk while we worked. Growing up that's how the O'Bannons kept the lines of communication open. We'd work outside on the yard or the house or whatever and we'd always pass the time with talking. Some of us could multitask better than others - Elisha was a big talker - but we would get things accomplished and we had fun doing it. Saturday was like that too, but with Leslie's family and Shana. There have been some very odd moments in the past few months within the family and I think Saturday was a great day because conversation flowed easily, the topics ranged from color palettes to kids to dusty floors to Leslie to the future all without too much of a pause or awkwardness. Communication is so much of my make up (if you've ever spent 5 minutes with me you'll know that 4 1/2 minutes of that someone is talking) that I really need the people around me to talk and to address whatever's in front of them. I do this whether people are ready for it or not - which sometimes creates weird moments - but I expect those around me to do the same. If you're not able to address life you'll always get run over by it. Saturday we talked a lot about life but more importantly we addressed some uncomfortableness that needed to be talked through. I am just starting that trek into the future where tough moments creep in and so far I've faced every one head on every time. It makes me really feel great that the people I love are willing to do the same. Thank you ladies for spending your Saturday with me and talking, I look forward to our next discussion.

No comments: