Tuesday, May 27, 2008

It's Starting to LOOK Like a Home

Well the past two weeks have gone by quickly in some respects and not in others.
In either case, much has been accomplished and the first floor of the house is starting to actually resemble a place that is actually inhabitable. But I will definitely not take credit for the mojority of the work, that has been the blessing of friends and family.

The first floor has it's final colors chosen (this was more of a hurdle than anticipated because in the paint chip-form colors look great, when you put them on a wall next to colors of wood and different lighting, it can go sideways) and in a lot of cases is actually on the walls and ceilings. A majority of the painting was done by Brittany last week when I was taking in a bit of sunshine and frosty Coronas by the pool. Brit has also agreed to finish the sun room this week while I'm away on business in L.A. It really was amazing walking back into the house and the places I left half 'cut-in' before vacation, to find them completed and perfectly completed really was a fantastic finish to a much needed vacation.

I took Memorial Day then to play a little catch up before I leave for L.A. Shana and her boys, Jake and Sam, as well as Ellie also chipped in and we really had a great time chipping away at some of the smaller things that have been hanging on the todo list for a while.
The living room with clean floors and no furinture

Views from the entry into the living room

Jake carefully cuts the two carpet anti-skid pads

One of two completed pads/The kids prepare to 'roll out the carpet'

Testing out the carpet/Having fun on the new floor

Setting in furniture near the window

Near the fireplace/Jake takes a well deserved break

Shana & I discuss window treatments/Shana & Jake enjoy the sun

Everyone horses around on the new carpet

I start to trim the dining room bottom walls

It's slow going - but the color will look great!


We took a great step forward to making the first floor more live-able over the weekend and it gets me excited that other rooms can't be too far behind. I need to think about window coverings now or my furniture will fade in no time because of all the sun, but that is already swishing around in my head. We need to finish painting the base of the dining room which is no small task because of having to cut two times all of the woodwork - once a grey primer and once the actual red color. It's a test to see just how bold I like the dining room to be and what kind of statement it will make, but I think it can be pulled off to be just that - 'bold but not obnoxious'.

With more painting being done by Brittany over the next week, I should be able to come back from L.A. and set more furniture and actually start to use the rooms. That is only after I mow the yard which is growing like CRAZY with all of the rain we have gotten in the last two weeks. When I left a week ago for vacation the yard was at that 'a bit too early to run a mower on without leaving tracks' to now being overgrown. It's to the point that it's so long that it will take an extra day to dry out - when ever it does stop raining - before I can bring a mower on to it. That of course after I BUY a mower. I waited after last fall/winter to not buy a new mower thinking I could easily find a good used one this spring. Well I'm a bit behind there and I have only found 1-2 decent options and am now in desperate need of one. Not a really great position to be in as a buyer who wants a deal.


Things are trucking along and I'm really starting to get anxious to get back to the task list and knock off a few more rooms. I will be starting to send out the usual email list again when I get back as I think I'm putting the to do list together again after a little break - and that's really fantastic to think about.

No comments: