Thursday, July 5, 2007

More Plumbing, 1/2 A Patio & Golf

The boys Gettin'r Done!

We had a great group on Saturday and got a TON done, even though I was only there until 12:00. I needed to go to a charity golf outing that was being organized in memory of Tom Dunphy - Tee it up for Tommy. It was an outing that benefited the Special Olympics and was played at the Legacy Golf course in Norwalk, IA. A pretty course on the southern edge of Des Moines. The day was beautiful and I decided to play the round in flip flops. Well I kind of had to because I was running a 'few' minutes behind schedule and forgot my shoes at the house. So until my fantastic sister Elisha showed up and asked the ranger to bring my shoes out to me, I had to play in very trendy and of course good looking flip flops. The 'starters' (very loud and fun-loving friends and brothers of Tom) of course had to give me a hard time as I was teeing off. I thought there was supposed to be QUIET during ones back swing - I guess that's a different golf outing. :-) Those boys put on a great outing and I was honored to be invited and attend. It was great to take some time out and not have to worry about anything but the next shot and the next beer - and not necessarily in that order. Speaking of taking time off, this coming weekend we're taking a break from the house so I can take some R&R - but more on that later. On to the progress and the folks that made it possible...

Starting off with the plumbing. It was Ben A continuing the installation of 'system 2' to the master bath and wash room. Jane and I continued gluing 'system 1' - after of course I got everyone going. Jane was VERY patient and waited, but as you can tell by the photo, she wasn't very happy about waiting.
Ben takes on 'System 2'

Jane 'happily' awaits instruction

Jane stopeed waiting and pulled in an accomplice - Ang


My Uncle Tim (and Jane while waiting for me) tore into the roof and CREATED more holes than what were there. It's all in good planning though is was for a roof vent instead of installing a bunch of the smaller ones. The only drag was that it's not quite finished and the original bathroom vent still needs to be closed up. But bother are easy and quick fixes and both are 'water tight' for now.
Uncle Tim starts/Then steals Jane away


The boys Ron, Kirby and Ryan started to level, prepare and install the flagstone patio on the south side of the house. I say started because it didn't get quite finished either, but definitely shows promise of a fabulous finished product when it's completed (hopefully next weekend).
First the prep, how they doing Kirby?/Then install

Kirby brings in sand/Ang mows the REALLY long grass


My aunt Tonee and cousin Teryn finished installing switches and plugs in the kitchen. My sister Mary and brother-in-law-to-be Dan and Angela H installed the seemingly endless supply of firring strips(cut by my brother Sean and his I'm-sure-to-be-engaged-to-girlfriend Sarah) onto every flat surface they saw in the sun room and entryway. This too was a great start and will hopefully be completed next weekend. My sister Elisha (prior to saving my round of golf) saved the day serving as runner and covered for my forgetfulness by picking up multiple little material items that were needed throughout the day. Then there was Amy T who stacked all the old flooring that was in the garage on the handmade shelves so that we could move 'Ol' Babe" into a safe place for her to sleep. More on Babe in later blogs.
Teryn & Tonee wiring the kitchen/Dan loving the firring!

Sean and Sarah cutting the strips/Nice tan Sean. Get out much?

Not sure what Amy is doing - not stacking wood though


Like I said there was a lot accomplished on Saturday, although I wonder if some of the things tended to tail off after I left... Hmmmm, they seemed to be heading down a great path when I was there. ;-)

Thank you all for the great work and I look forward to seeing you all in a week. I'm off to NYC to see a college buddy, take in a Yankees game before they tear down the stadium (never seen it before but it's something everyone should do) and drink a few brews and take in some live music and do some sight seeing. This has been nearly 7 months to the day (January 6) that we all started this journey together and it's time I take a break and recharge the batteries. Enjoy the week off!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey great update for those of us that aren't in town- I almost felt like I was there. What a crew- keep it up you guys. I will be back. Until then carry on and yes "get 'er done" I miss you all. Had a chance to hang in the Ozarks with my son for a week and my family will be here the next week. Togh duty I know so I will be ready to tackle some job when I get back. Hope you have a great time in NYC !! Maybe I will try golfing in flip flops you trend setter!! Lola