Friday, July 13, 2007

Blown Away!


THE COMPLETED GIFT
You understand that I don't know how to say 'thank you' enough. You understand that you show me that there will continue to be brighter days ahead. You understand that this has touched me deeply.

Coming home from my retreat to New York I was treated to one of the most amazing and inspiring things that I have experienced to this point. I have continually been blessed and am constantly reminded of how much people care for Ellie and me and how our future has been and will continue to be molded by the loving people that surround us. As I was flying into Des Moines after 12 hours of trying to get home because of weather delays and plane changes, I was told to meet at my house to go through some prepping for some video shooting that we had planned on Thursday. I arrived to find a group of folks sitting on a huge play set in my back yard! I was amazed and completely blown away. Once again I was lost for words in this project that I have continued to be given so much. I don't know all of the people involved in collecting the money, purchasing the set, assembling and installing the set and then those that took time out of their week nights and family time to give me this great gift, I honestly cant' say thank you enough and I don't know that Thank you covers all that I want to say. Below are some of the images that I have been given that document this event, some of which I was present for, and some I wasn't.

Getting help with instructions/Nice climbing wall!

Anyone done this before?/Going vertical

Starting the platform/Playing around with Tyler

Grandma tests the slide for safety/Tricia thinks ahead

Starting the roof.../After the leader...

Leads the 7th Inning stretch/Then it's picnic time

And the final touches are put on


All this while I'm chillin' in NYC, looking for interior house design inspiration and going to a VERY HOT Yankees game (see previous entry). Then I return that Tuesday evening to find...

Are you K-I-D-D-I-N-G?!

OMG! I can't believe this!/Check out the climbing wall

Crazy Matt Plays with Piper/The Welcome Home Commitee


But there was still more to come. What we all wanted to see – the excitement of a particular little girl named Ellie...

I love burgers!/Then the 'P-R-I-S-E!!!'

'MY SWING!'/Push Weesy, Push!

'Weeeeeeee!!'/'Daddy, WING. WING, Daddy!'

Slides are fun/'Weesy, watch' (Means we'll watch you Weesy)

Let's drive/Fill the cup Daddy

Happy Daddy and Ellie


Just like that, you all have made it all worth it again. You've made me smile and appreciate once again the thing that I get up for everyday. You made it possible not only for Ellie to play at the new house; you have made it possible for us to spend time together every night.

You see, for the past eight months I have had someone pick Ellie up from the sitter while I go work on the house. It may be to pick up materials, it may be to pick out future floor tiles and paint colors, but often it's to get grimy, stinky and dirty so that progress continues between the Saturdays. It's in a constant effort to get my family in the house that is to be our home. It's so that we can continue the dream of someday being a 'normal' family that comes home, has dinner, plays with toys, reads some books and then heads off to bed to have sweet dreams. All of that is on hold until this house is done, and until now it had to be done separate from each other. You have no idea how it hurts that I can't see my little girl except for the hour and a half in the morning as we get ready for daycare and on Sundays, because I know it's s short-term deal. I know that Ellie won't remember most of this. But what if she does?

You have done much more than just pay for, build and install a play set. Everyone has given us the most important thing - time together. Thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart I will forever be grateful.

1 comment:

Jana said...

What a great surprise! I love the pictures of Ellie playing, too. She loves it, you can tell!