Friday, May 4, 2007

The Youth Pitch In


Last Wednesday evening the youth group from Westview Church in Waukee came over to the house and gave a much needed helping hand. The past few weekends I had a smaller number on Saturday and I'm sure it's due to folks needing to tend to their own honey-do lists and gardens since the weather has turned to be beautiful. Also, the projects have gotten to be a bit more specific in nature and some aren't as comfortable with the projects as they might with just tearing out stuff. The rebuilding process has been one of longer timelines and more detailed-orientated thinking that I thought. The arrival of the youth groups was, to say at the least, a very welcomed one.

The group showed up around 6:30 and dug right in. The jobs weren't glorious but they were all needed. Some moved the HUGE mound of mulch away from a younger tree, so that it wouldn't get killed. Lola planted a small evergreen and another group took off some of the plaster on the basement wall in the basement. thankfully my aunt and uncle had purchased an air-powered chisel which made that job quick and relatively painless. Then of course there were a good number that scraped more mortar off bricks. Finally there were a small number that pulled a few more rocks up from the edge of the driveway and one even mowed the front yard! Like I said, they weren't there for all that long, but they definitely got after it! Thank you guys SO much for giving up your Wednesday evening and helping me out, Leslie would be very touched.

I also hadn't written for a while in regards to what had been accomplished over the Saturdays that have passed, so I'll quickly bring you up to speed even though I wasn't smart enough to take pics of any of them.





I had a small group the past two Saturdays and each were just as productive as the youth group. We tackled putting in the concrete in the basement floor to cover the plumbing after its successful approval by the inspector - yippee! There were all kinds of walls in the basement that were framed in so we can run electrical at the same time as the rest of the house. There was also the lowering of the eat-in kitchen onto it's final resting place - the framed support that rests on fresh concrete. A MAJOR step in the right direction for a room that has grown to be an albatross of sorts for this project. Also, we ran more video/audio cable throughout the first couple of floors. All in all, we're making progress in the house at a pretty good clip.

Outside we removed more concrete and I'm up to about 50 tons of stuff that has been removed from my house/yard to this point. So the landfill is growing at a healthy pace and on my credit card continues to build points. It'll be nice to use those points for a nice flight to some place warm when this is all done - maybe down to FL for my sister's wedding in January. Anyway, the yard looks like a mess to this point, but there has been large leaps of improvement, but like the house, it may take some time for that progress to be noticeable.

Well, I will leave you all as the next week is quickly approaching and I'll hopefully write more as it happens.

No comments: