Thursday, May 24, 2007

Good, Tough Weekend


I'm not real sure where this is going to go, but I'll start and throw caution to the wind. This past weekend I had a good crew that worked extremely hard and we were able to accomplish a boat-load of work. I had three brick layers on site, replacing the facade of brick on the eat-in kitchen area below the new French doors. I have to tell you that was a beautiful site to these weary eyes. Just about 7 weeks in the making, those gentlemen were masters at their craft for sure. Even though the existing siding wasn't installed level or the footing wasn't exactly level, they managed to lay the brick level - a marvel in itself.

John T and team lays the facade/AND Still has time to show off

Stop smiling and get to mixin'/Keeping things 'level'

Then I had a great crew tearing into the planting of perennials and trees and making flower beds i the front yard. After hours of raking, shoveling, planting and then re-planting some (sorry guys) all three beds cam out looking great! Now I just have to figure how I'm going to water everything in this yard so it stays looking nice. Installing irrigation systems is sounding more and more like a REALLY good idea. There of course looms the price tag of a couple grand I'm sure to do so, but man it really is enticing. I think I may need to wait until after I buy appliances and kitchen cabinets and furniture. If anyone knows anyone in the yard irrigation field, please give me a shout. It was kind of nice to remove the port-o-John from the front yard and replace it with some nice flowering plants. I'm sure the more 'reserved' workers appreciate it as much as the neighbors do.

Not sure who's winning - Sean vs. Machine/Brit's the real worker

The crew takes a well-deserved rest

I also had a roof repair crew that was headed up bu Uncle Tim and lasted two days to repair the roof due to more than expected rotting in the OSB board. They did a fantastic job and I'll need to find some shaker shingles to match the existing shingles on the wall under the eaves to put the finishing touches on. Which sort of brings up the eat-in area again. I'm thinking I should buy a lot of those shake siding boards and re-side the eat-in area because all of the holes are filled with windows and doors that are different than the original AND none of the siding was hung level. This eat-in area is starting to hurt me. Something more to put on the master list!

Angie T. is sticking out of the roof while Tim sleeps in the shade

I've kind of danced around it in my head as I've been writing, so I'll come out with it: this past Friday would've been Leslie and my 5th anniversary. Needless to say it was a very tough day/weekend. It really started Thursday night for me, seeing my adorable little girl quietly sleeping in the bed I'm sure dreaming of wonderful things like the swing at the park or birthday cake and everyone singing to her.For whatever reason, that moment really hit me as one that I missed Leslie and wished I could share all of this with her. I realize that most of this wouldn't have happened if she were here, but sharing with her the everyday moments that have passed would have been that much sweeter.

That Friday I got out of bed and decided to go to her grave site and spend some time with her. I went to the florist and ran into the woman that helped make our original May 18th so special. You see there were really only two things that Leslie really cared to be perfect at our wedding, one was the dress and the other were the flowers. She worked with the florist for weeks to get things just so. The florist came through with flying colors and made the day more perfect by turning what Leslie had dreamed about for years into reality. I walked into the shop and she immediately asked "is it today?" I could only mumble through a growing swell of grief "yes". She gave me a hug and we both cried. The rest of the day kind of went the same way, friends and family called, emailed and stopped by to lend their support. It was appreciated, but I just wanted her back. The weather was gorgeous, probably just as much blue in the sky, but slightly warmer than five years ago. Crisp, warm, peaceful - it was a day made by the Lord on purpose.

It has taken a few days to get out of that slump and I'm not sure I'm even completely out of it. I'm just pushing through life again. I feel as though I've taken a few steps backward in my healing. I will again move forward I'm sure, but when, that I'm not so sure about. Her birthday is in a week and I'm sure that will be a tough day as well, but I know my friends and family will again be there to carry me. Thank the Lord for them, I would be lost without you. If I seem quiet to those I run into for the next few days/weeks, just give me a hug.

I am placing a few of my more favorite photos of the wedding day for those who were there as a trip down memory lane, and as an insight to how things started so beautifully. Placing these are bittersweet for me, I remember as if it were last month and there are so many great feelings associated with the images. The Lord blessed us greatly, he continues to bless me today. I had the love of one of His angels if only for a brief moment in time. I miss my angel.

We rode off 'into the sunset'/She 'got me' with the bagpipe player

Russ walks her in - not sure who's smiling more

The kiss of a bright future/Taking the slew of photos

The toast from a dear friend

Have a great Memorial Day everyone - here's to good weather for everyone, wherever you may be.

6 comments:

Jana said...

This post was really hard to read, but very beautiful too. I remember those beautiful flowers at your wedding! Hard to believe that was five years ago.

Leslie shares a birthday with my Grandpa Deur who passed away a month ago. I'll think of them both on June 1.

Anonymous said...

WOW Thanks for sharing your heart John! What a tough day that would have been!! Thanks for taking the time to share some wedding photos with us. What a beautiful couple! The Lord did bless you with an angel!I will continue to pray for you!!

Anonymous said...

OK I am posting again tonight but forgot to say I am missing hanging out with "the gang" If anyone ever wants to "get er done" sometime during the week call me 371-5071 I am gone most weekends.Slow but sure progress John. Even a plumber Impressive

Anonymous said...

OK this is bad I think I need to go to bed-- that was me in the above comment-- Lola saying call if you want to put some hours in during the week!!OK I really am signing off

Jana said...

I recognize some of those pics! :)

And I remember that bagpiper...he played at Jeff and my wedding, too. He was a great surprise for Jeff, too.

Anonymous said...

I just have to let all of you know... I have learned so much about myself and what life is truly about through this whole experience! I enjoy the new people that I have met through all of this and the bonds that I have made! Truely life changing! thank you!