Monday, April 23, 2007

The Lord Blesses Me With 33


Tuesday, March 19
Thirty three fantastic college students and volunteers took off a day away from the hustle and bustle of learning and a day at the office to help me make sense of a VERY large yard. It was a truly awe-inspiring sight to see the flurry of work and hustle that transpired on Tuesday.

The Lord gave us perfect to work under, 72 and cool in the morning that turned into a glorious day as the time wore on. I had volunteers from Vermeer Manufacturing that ran two different sizes of stump grinders and a brush chipper and a loader that made easy work of all of the cut trees. I must have said at least 10 times, that machine is amazing - it just chewed a 30' tree without flinching - in two minutes. The grinders methodically ate into the over 30 tree stumps that varied in size from 8" to 46" in diameter. Those guys not only know how to make quick work of a tree, but do it with ease and make it look like anyone could do it - which is definitely not the case.

I had also been given the use of a Bobcat by the folks at Capitol City rental and put it to the test removing concrete foundations of the old greenhouse on the South side of the house, removed bushes, moved piles of brush as well as loaded piles of brush into the chipper. It was going non-stop and really made progress beyond tree cutting possible.

Let's not forget the log splitter that was put into action about 11:00 and didn't stop - literally - until about 3:30. It cut enough wood I'm sure for Ellie and I to burn wood (in the new wood-burning fireplace) until 2010! You'd think that splitting wood would be relatively easy on the body, but I can bet the folks that spent the afternoon doing it, that it's brutal on the forearms and backs.

Let's not forget the brick cleaning crew. i know this was definitely not what some had in mind when they signed up for this, but there were more than a few that spent a good spell of time chatting while sitting on 5-gallon buckets rubbing the mortar off old bricks for the foundation. B-O-R-I-N-G I know, but honestly one of the best things for the day. Now I don't have to eat as much dust doing it myself before the brick layer redoes the brick for the kitchen. - A huge thank you to them!

AND THEN there were the guys that jumped in the trenches and finished digging out the footings for the foundation for the eat-in area. Sucks huh guys? Nothin' but clay gents - did I forget to mention that before you hopped in? Sorry about that - really ;-) they rocked on through that project like it was nothing. I think there was a comment "We're doing this Dugger-style baby." Meaning by hand and without much praise but a good ol' atta-boy when it's done. Good stuff gents.

I mentioned it before, but the removal of the foundation of the old greenhouse took the four guys all day and was a monumental task that I think got completed more out of pure determination by Dave and the guys not wanting to have been beaten by it more so than just it having been on the list of todos. Well gents, if it means anything, you removed OVER 15 TONS of concrete - I have the bill from the dump to verify it. If your backs ached for a day or so after, you know why.

Oh, and there was the food and runners crew that set everything up for lunch, went out and purchased anything I had forgotten to get and in general kept things moving along. Truly great work and thoughtfulness to cover my butt where I had forgotten things. Thank you for making me look good and for keeping everyone happy and hydrated.

Finally, the Lord needs a HUGE shout out from me. I saw that day His grace, love, and generosity. Not only in the workers who gave of their time, talents and strong backs, but also through the friends of mine and Leslie's through agency connections, old neighbors, new neighbors, new and old friends, the town of Pella that has continued to support this Irishman that captured the heart of one of its own. That Tuesday I have never felt more a part of Pella and its great people and heritage. Thank you Lord for giving me so much in a time in which I have lost so much, may I(we) always know your presence and see your hand in the world that surrounds us no matter the circumstances.

As if this entry isn't long enough, I'm adding a TON of images of those folks that blessed me with 33. Here's to you all, thank you I hope to see you all soon.














No comments: