Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Move Is On!

The time had finally come, it was time to move out of my current house last Saturday the 3rd. It kind of snuck up on me a bit as the final day of closing was always the 9th of March, but it never hit me that the 9th was a Friday - meaning that I would need to move out the weekend BEFORE. So at the last minute I recruited 10-12 people to help me move.

The two nights before the big move, I had five people each night helping me pack. Mostly family members and a freind or two to fill out the group. Everyone pretty muck worked on the main floor while I tried to push through the upstairs master bedroom. It was a lot tougher to do than I ever thought it would be. Not only had we accumulated more than I realized, but going through Leslie's things was extremely tough. It wasn't so much the clothes (after the first two to three hard cries) but more so the other small things that I really didn't know about. Things that most husbands don't know about because it's their own space and items and it's not ours to know. Anyway, a ton of memories surfaced those two nights that really made me realize all of the great times Leslie and I had together through our five years together. Hopefully over the next few months in this blog, I'll find time and appropriate situations to share some of them with you.

The day of the move I had a semi coming up from Pella, IA that was supposed to arrive around 8:00 am so I could have things ready for the crew that was to arrive around 9. As life would have it, we had some nasty weather the day or two before (6-8 inces of snow on top of freezing rain) that made travel tough, but not impossible. As it would turn out, the driver decided on his own without telling me that he'd wait until 10 am to leave Pella - making him THREE HOURS late. What do you do with 10 volunteers that come over to help you move and the damn truck doesn't show on time? You feed them pastries and pack up the tools that you thought weren't going to be touched until after the move, and you start cleaning the house. I was so upset with the driver I could almost taste it. To me, there is nothing worse than telling people you'll be ready to move at a certain time and they come over and you still aren't ready and are still packing boxes. Alltough this wasn't exactly the same, it was the same to me in my book. To the 10 people that showed up to help me move, thank you for yur patience and I'm sorry things weren't completely ready for you.

Anyway, once the truck finally showed up, we actually had everything out of the house in an hour and ten minutes. Pretty good time if you ask me. It was pretty amazing to see the help and the efficency of everyone.

All the while, Matt S and my brother were over at the new house trying to put up the remaining walls on the second floor. They got them all in with only six people as well as most of the walls on the third floor. It was crazy to have two seperate crews at different locations trying to crank out the work,while also being carefulwith my things as well as my future house. All went off without a hitch and I'm now living in the third floor room of a good friend of mine from high school.

It took until late Thursday evening for my broter and I to finally get everything out of the house until the new owner is there. It was a tough week in that it was also one of the most taxing and time consuming at work. It's very bittersweet that I have moved out of mu current house (really more bitter than sweet.

I hope that I follow through on some thoughts that I had while going through some of the photos and such, that I fill out some of the photo albums that were started and start new ones for the hhouse and other recent heappenings. Time will tell.

1 comment:

Jana said...

Wow, that must have been hard to pack things up. I do hope you have a chance to share some more stories.