Tuesday, January 30, 2007

After 4 Weeks We're Still Breaking Stuff

Every weekend nears and it still amazes me that we're able to find more things to demolish. I know there will come a time when we actually start to rebuild this house, but that is still a bit away. Actually this weekend I met with the architect and interior designer that agreed to help me with this house as well as continued to tear rooms out of the house.

On Saturday the 28th I was up at 5 as is usual on work days. Not only is there the anxiety of making sure things are prepared for the work crew so they don't have to wait, but I also get caught up in thinking about what this house is going to be like in the end. It makes for restless nights, but it's the only real time I have to think. I began the work day making sure the propane heater was running to give some heat in the house and turning on lights and prepping the skid steer and putting up safety lines and the like. The crew again started around 9:30 A.M. and proceeded to tear out the kitchen and basement. Also on task today was the removal of the three story exhaust chimney from the original oil burning furnace.

Word must ha gotten out that a chimney was being torn out, because I noticed Todd D. was in early and asked what he was planning to work on from the list of to-dos. Proudly he replied, "I'm taking out the chimney. Just waiting for Ben to cut a hole in the roof." Really? Man I gotta see this. I got people making bigger holes in my house that are going to need to be repaired, just what we need. I suppose it's better than having people on a very steep and icy roof trying to tear down a brick chimney. Have at it men.

Things were moving along when I needed to break away to meet with Robyn V., the architect. Finally I can start to think about an end to all of the dust and muck of demolition, even if it's still a week or two away from being complete. We met at my existing house to get a feel for our current home and the style, color palette and decor that will greatly influence the new house. After walking her through, we went back to the new house and walked her through for the first time and tried to lay out some of the ideas Leslie and I had been discussing so she could hopefully incorporate those ideas in what she was planning. I left her to walk around, take pictures, evaluate structure concerns, etc. and went back to work.

All in all the day was pretty straight forward in more demolition of the kitchen, the back landing, temporary walls and floors in the basement and a whole bunch more pulling nails. We ended up being short about five to six people because we miscalculated how much was actually left to be completed. Consequently we have probably one more weekend of about 10 people doing "fine demolition" and cleanup. I was hoping to be done this weekend, but the details always take longer than expected. That said, we now have officially gone through 3 - 40 yard dumpsters and we maxed the latest one in both weight and volume.

The weekend ended with talking over some rough sketches with Robyn and leaving the status such that she'll hope to give the interior designer, Ashley S., more clear ideas to work with in the coming week and we'll meet via phone later in the week so we can start to plan and install the mechanicals. Until then, I have a hole in my roof that needs to be covered before the next major snow fall. With temps in the single digits all week, that'll be great fun!

No comments: