Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Hello Again Floors

Aptly named 'Century' wood company that all the original trim came from - the history is so rich here

Are kidding me? That's right, after ELEVEN months of dusty brown floors, we finally pulled back the multiple layers of cardboard on the second and third floors to reveal the beautiful hardwood floors! Honestly, I had forgotten what they looked like. Then I remembered how quiet the floors are for being 90 years old and hardwood. It's just as amazing today as it was the first time I walked through with Leslie. The uncovered floors are a huge sign of progress that there won't be any more major chunks of wood. plaster or metal falling on the floors! From here on out there will be people that tread lightly and carry a small hammer as it were. The thought of stepping into the phase of worrying about finishing touches is something I cherish. The first floor still has the cardboard down because the trim is still being installed and there are still sheets of drywall that need to be installed in the kitchen. It's progress and it's exciting. In the next few weeks it should go something like this:
Plumber and electrician move things in the kitchen to match the BH&G designer's layout of the kitchen. At the same time the framing of Ellie's bedroom closet doors will be completed. Then I'll hang the drywall in both places and finishers will come in and mud those walls. Then wood trim guys will trim everything and the painter will paint it all by the end of next week. Then the kitchen cabinets should be in and they will get installed. Hopefully by then the tile company will be on board and we'll have tile waiting to be installed. It's a crazy time line but it's one that has to be dealt with. All this while I try to concentrate on getting the basement sub-floor in so carpet can go in too. It sounds a bit hectic and I guess it is, but there are no other options.

The 'old' trim in the Dining Room, reinstalled

The Main Entry with reinstalled trim

Second floor landing floors/Guest Bedroom floors & trim!

Ellie's Room closet door frame/Master Bedroom floors & trim

More Master Bedroom floors/Kitchen walls still needing work

'The Guys' installing more trim/Completed installation of new trim on the windows

Cool 'original' builder's notes on the boards/Misc tools



I was talking with a friend's mom last night that went through her own life crisis a few years ago when her house burned down while they were away on vacation. A hundred year old house that she had spent many hours and years pouring her effort and time into restoring.So it's fair to say it held quite a few of dreams for her and her husband and it was gone in a few minutes. The part that struck me was how she spoke of the vast numbers of people that came out to help them too and how the Lord's hand was present throughout the entire process. They would run into a tight spot and inevitably the Lord would provide a person or gift or a provision that they desperately were praying for. Even that I can not only relate to but also can attest is one of the most amazing feelings to have - that bittersweet humble feeling that you get when you are so grateful to the friends, family and others that many times without mention show up and do great things for you. I sometimes get chills thinking "yeah, yeah I know" as I listen to those kinds of stories, many of which I've heard over the past year.

To carry on the discussion she went on to describe the feeling of anxiousness and impatience that she felt toward the end - about the last six months. Time lines inevitably kept extending beyond the original plans, the helpers began to drastically dwindle in numbers and the number of decisions to be made didn't shrink in numbers, they actually continued to grow. The pressure almost began to increase as the got to a certain point before completion and it wore on them because they were already exhausted to the point of weary knees, sore backs, heavy eyelids and rough, worn hands. It became a situation of steel-like resolve and persistence, one of strength and single-mindedness. It was one of the toughest time throughout the whole process and one that changed her forever.

I couldn't help but to listen and think to myself that I feel some of those very same things right now. I feel as though I'm a man walking in the stiff desert wind in the early afternoon and although I have made it through the worst of heat and dry sand, I have yet to either see the oasis or even know what is still in store other than more of the single-minded process of putting one foot in front of the other in hopes of finding a place of rest. I no longer hold all of the pieces that determine how this will finish because I now need to rely on a few people to help me complete this house and I don't know those processes or what to expect as a final product. I don't know when this all will be complete as time lines are always vague and I can't always read how concrete the promises are. I have to trust that the way others do their job is just as efficient and effective as the way I would do mine because it IS their job to do. It's just difficult for someone (me) to give up the reigns with no real understanding of where this is heading. I'm tired, worn and short of patience which is rarely a good mixture of success. I must rely on my faith that things will work out and that I will soon be living in my house with my little girl who seems to be growing up more and more every day. The moments not shared in my house are quickly adding up and that is a stress for me. I want so badly to have those moments with Ellie but I know that I need to keep focus on the end product and not cut corners with the end so close. It may still be a few months before everything is complete and I need to keep that in perspective of how great all of this will be years down the road. I'm sure I'll look back with great appreciation of the efforts, love and time of those that are helping me and won't remember the frustration or exhaustion. I am inching every day closer to an end, I thank you all for helping me get there. If I seem tired, cranky or a bit confused, I probably am. Just don't give up on me, I still need your strength, your prayers, your thoughts and some times your patience. I cannot say thank you enough for getting me here, I look forward to walking into that oasis, grinning, opening my arms wide and greeting you after this long day is over.

3 comments:

Shana said...

Your courage to face the day, your strength to get through it, your patience when you should have none and your perseverance to carry out Leslie's and your dream and make a beautiful home for Ellie has inspired so many people in so many ways. You have held us up just as much as you think we have held you up. Thank YOU for letting me be a part of it. You and Ellie are in my prayers now and always.

Anonymous said...

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway – and you’ve had quite a ride this past year. Looking forward to the celebration once you and Ellie move in.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh. You totally have a house again. That is so exciting to see the wood again, just like I remembered, only the walls behind it are 100 times better. Can't wait to help again in two weeks. That is right, I will be home in two weeks. I hope you are getting super close to moved in, or actually moved in by then, but if not, I am totally there to make the process faster. Love you.