Tuesday, June 12, 2007

More Electrical, Half A Wall


My Hand in 3D
This week was a good one. We shared walking tacos for lunch and then sweat like crazy in a perfect weather afternoon. There was a lot accomplished by a few people and items got 'checked off" the list, problem is I got another list from the electrician. Nice guy but a real stickler ;-) Oh and in case anyone was thinking I made up this broken hand story to get out of heavy lifting, here are the X-Rays to prove the pain. This really going to kill my golf game.

We started early unloading A LOT of landscaping rock that we'll discuss later. Then jumped to what I thought was the last of the electrical items that we'd need for inspection next week. Oh was I mistaken. My sister Elisha got very frustrated when she did a FABULOUS job tacking down ALL the wires in the 3rd floor (although only a handful needed it) due to a misunderstanding from the other brother. Oh well, the roof is now FIRMLY attached to the walls. We also installed all the can lights in the kitchen - 11 to be exact. I didn't think the room was the big, but at least no one will have trouble seeing the food under the surface-of-the-sun lighted room. Sean and Sarah finished installing the ceiling rafters in the eat-in area so the ceiling is now the same height extending from the existing kitchen to the new space. The electrician spent half of Friday and Saturday running wires and prepping the area for rough-in inspection and left the forementioned 'list' of to-dos for the rest of the house. The good news is that 3rd floor was listed as 'done'. Yahoo – one down three to go. So I have that going for me. Please feel free to stop by and help!

Sean building the rafters/His finished handiwork

More of his good work/Crazy Matt's handiwork on the plumbing

Outside we started installing the retaining wall that borders the front and back yards on the South side of the house.. It should create a very nice barrier for the flagstone patio that is going in there (maybe this weekend?). It's only half completed because we got tuckered out moving all the dirt by hand - it really sucks not owning a skid steer. Anyway, it's a great start and will be a fantastic update to the yard. We also had a group moving and planting plants and flowers in the back. Again the skid loader would have been great to move the mulch, but they did a great job without them. Also a tiller would be a good thing to own with all of these flower beds we're putting in, but I struggle with that b/c it will all end (hopefully) soon. So until then I just rent and hope that I get enough notice to when folks are showing up to prepare things for them.

Ron's taking a break behind the mound of dirt

Ron measuring to make sure it ends up where it's supposed to

The 1/2 completed wall/The planting crew digs into mulch

Unloading the trailer of mulch/Spreading it to a great finish

One more beautiful flower bed installed

Like I said a great week and the next one is quickly approaching, so I'm off to prepare for that. i need more pea gravel for the wall, more can lights and fart fans for the bath rooms, more pipe for the remaining plumbing, more pitchforks to move mulch, some sprinklers for the new flowers...

5 comments:

Sean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sean said...

I don't know, johnny, that JUST BARELY looks broken--I mean, no pieces floating around, or bones bending the wrong way or anything!?

Cheri said...

hey John, I have a rototiller to donate if you can get it from Grand Haven to you....maybe mom and dad can tow it behind the lexus next weekend. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I think I will have to check out a 3D device one of these days. There has to be a reason for all the aches and pains--then I will have proof that my whining has a reason. Sure hope that laser gun works fast so you can get back to that heavy lifting. I am getting tired of covering for you! Lola

Anonymous said...

Well written article.